1/2 cup vegetable oil – updated : 1 cup or mix oils
2 large onions, sliced
1 1/2 lb. meat, cut into pieces
1 lb. basmati rice – Updated 2.45 cups
1 lb. carrots, cut into medium sticks
1 garlic head
1 tbsp. cumin seeds (or powder)
1 tsp. coriander powder
1/2 tbsp salt and pepper
Resource : https://cooktoria.com/uzbek-plov/#wprm-recipe-container-5086
5. Cook the onions for 5-7 minutes until they start to brown and add the meat.
6. Cook the meat for 10 minutes on high heat.
7. Add carrots and keep cooking for 10 more minutes.
8. Add cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
9. Peel some of the skin off the garlic head and slice the top off, exposing the garlic cloves.
10. Add the garlic to the meat, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and cook for about 1 hour.
NOTE: Low heat to avoid burning the meat
Wash the rice thoroughly and mix in 1/2 tbs of salt.
11. Taste the liquid for salt and adjust if necessary. Add the rice and spread it out evenly.
(optional) Punch holes in the rice to get an even cook
(Tip) Be careful with the water. mix 1 to 1 but remember that the carrots have water in them from earlier. Let the steam cook the rice.
12. Add 2 more cups of water, reduce heat to low, cover the dutch oven with lid and cook for 25-30 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, check if the water has been absorbed fully, and, if not, let it cook a little longer. Once ready, let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.