- 1/2 cup vegetable oil – updated : 1 cup or mix oils
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 1 1/2 lb. meat (minimum). cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 lb. basmati rice – Updated 2.45 cups
- 1 lb. carrots, cut into medium sticks
- 3-5 garlic heads
- 1 tbsp. cumin seeds (or powder)
- 1 tbsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tbsp salt and maybe some pepper
Resource : https://cooktoria.com/uzbek-plov/#wprm-recipe-container-5086
- 1 hour chopping – Chop onions, carrots, peal garlic, wash rice
- 30 mins – Meat prep – cook on highest possible heat.
- 1 hr. – simmer – Medium heat – longer for more tender meat.
- 30 mins -rice – lowest possible to steam cook the rice (Could burn meat if too high).
- 15 min – rest
- 15 min – Transfer to platter
Total Time = 3.5 hours
1. Add the oil in the pot.
2. Cook the onions for 5-7 minutes until they start to brown and add the meat.
3. Cook the meat for 10 minutes on high heat.
4. Add carrots and keep cooking for 10 more minutes.
5. Add cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
6. (PREP) Peel some of the skin off the garlic head and slice the top off, exposing the garlic cloves.
7. Add the garlic to the meat, reduce heat to medium-low, cover with lid and cook for about 1 hour. (Even longer if concerned that meat wont be tender and flaky)
8. Remove the cooked garlic and add it back later when everything has been completed
9. (OPTIONAL) Taste the liquid for salt and adjust if necessary.
10. Add the rice and spread it out evenly. (Pre prepped, Wash the rice thoroughly and mix in 1 tbs of salt.)
(OPTIONAL) Tip: Punch holes in the rice to get an even cook
NOTE: Low heat to avoid burning the meat
11. Cook Rice – Add 2 more cups of water or 1 to 1, reduce heat to low, cover the dutch oven with lid and cook for 25-30 minutes. At the end of the cooking time, check if the water has been absorbed fully. If not, let it cook a little longer.
(Tip) Be careful with the water. mix 1 to 1 but remember that the carrots have water in them from earlier. Let the steam cook the rice.
12. Once ready – turn off heat, let it rest for 15 minutes before serving.
13. Spoon out the rice into a serving tray. Then spoon out the carrots. Top off platter with the meat and garlic. (Chop the meat smaller if necessary)