Nail Peeling and Cracking:
Why are my nails peeling and splitting? What is causing them to become so brittle?
Below, we have listed many of the things that cause the peeling or splitting nails. There are many reasons nails become brittle. Once you identify your own personal case you can take steps to apply the proper solution to remedy and heal nails. If it is too difficult to determine your case you may want to seek a physician. In all cases, being mindful of your daily activities should help you determine the cause.
Things to keep in mind and look out for…
Brittle Nail Causes:
1. Getting Wet – Exposure to lots of moisture. Getting hands wet and then drying them excessively. Activities such as washing dishes.
2. Chemical Exposure – This includes household cleaning supplies, nail polish, adhesives such as glue, and nail polish remover.
3. Hypothyroidism – Medical condition where thyroid gland is under-active or not producing enough hormones. Symptoms of hypothyroidism also include weakness, fatigue, weight gain, and heavy menstrual periods.
4. Iron Deficiency – Symptoms also include cold hands and feet, pale skin, headaches and or loss of appetite.
5. Injuries to nails – Crushing your nails between object, frequent bumping, slices, or slamming can lead to deformities.
6. Biting of nails – Doing this for a long time can lead to or accelerate the formation of ridges and bumps along the nail.
7. Picking Cuticles – When you play with your cuticles instead of just investing in a cuticle cutter your nails can become torn and dry.
8. Nail Polish – Excessive use or going for long periods at a time with polish on your nails will dry them out. Peeling off gel nail polish can also leave nails brittle and pron to breakage.
Solutions For Brittle Nails:
#1. Apply lotion to brittle nails to relieve dryness. Hard As Hoof Nail Strengthening Cream
#2. Use a cuticle cream. Burt’s Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream
#3. Use gloves during your chores. Playtex Gloves Playtex Living Medium (3-Pack)
#4. Trimming and filing nails helps to prevent splitting and cracking. OPI Crystal Nail File
#5. If you believe a medical condition applies you should see a doctor.
#6. Get more iron in your diet or iron supplements. Nature Made Iron 65mg, 180 Tablets
#7. Drink more water. Drinking more water will help prevent nails peeling and splitting
*Disclaimer* The remedies above are not guaranteed to succeed. For best results seek a physician.